Secretary of state talks tough to launch a review of the 2015 agreement that Trump called the worst ever
The US secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, has accused Iran of horrifying ongoing provocations to destabilise countries in the Countries of the middle east as the Trump administration launched a review of its policy towards Tehran.
Tillerson said the review would not only look at Tehrans compliance with a 2015 nuclear bargain but also its behaviour of the states of the region which he told undermined US interests in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Lebanon.
His tough words matched those of US defense secretary James Mattis, who said in a inspect to Saudi Arabia on Wednesday that Irans destabilising force would have to be overcome to end the conflict in Yemen.
President Donald Trump ordered the review is to determine whether suspension of sanctions related to the nuclear bargain was vital to the national security interests of the United States, Tillerson said
Though there was no sign the Trump administration intended to walk away from the bargain, Tillerson twice cautioned that if left unchecked Tehran could become a threat like North Korea, which is also under pressure over its nuclear program ambitions.
In a letter addressed to US House of Representatives talker Paul Ryan released belatedly on Tuesday, Tillerson declared that Iran was satisfying its commitments under the 2015 nuclear bargain but there were concerns about Tehrans role as a country sponsor of terrorism.
A comprehensive Iran policy necessitates we address all of security threats posed by Iran and it is clear there are many, Tillerson told reporters in Washington.
Tillerson said the 2015 nuclear bargain between Iran and six world powers failed to achieve the objective of a non-nuclear Iran and merely delays their aim of becoming a nuclear state.
Iran has yet to comment on the Trump administrations examine, but Iranian supreme commander Ayatollah Khamenei advised in November that Tehran would retaliate if the United States breached the nuclear agreement.
Tillerson said one of the error in accordance with the rules the agreement was put together was that it dismissed all the other serious threats Iran posed outside of its nuclear program.
That is why we have to look at Iran in a fully completed behavior in terms of the threat it poses in all areas of the region and the world, he added.
This bargain represents the same miscarried approaching of the past that used to generate to the current imminent menace we face from North Korea, Tillerson said.
The nuclear agreement, negotiated during Barack Obamas presidency, placed a restriction on Irans nuclear program in exchange for lifting economic sanctions against Iran.
Tillersons notice to Congress was part of a 90 -day process in which the president has to certify that Iran is complying with the nuclear accord. It be the first time that update under the Trump administration.
The next experiment of Trumps attitude towards the nuclear bargain will be in May when he must decide whether to extend sanctions waivers for Iran first signed by Obama.
During his presidential campaign, Trump called the agreement the worst deal ever negotiated and said he would review it once he reached role.
The European Unions foreign policy chief, Frederica Mogherini, said last month after sessions with senior Trump administration officials she was reassured in the talks that the U.S. was committed to its full implementation.
Read more: http :// www.theguardian.com/ us