If you ever needed food in a pinch, hoe cakes are the perfect option. Popular during the civil war, these cakes provide enough nutrition to sustain life. Here is how you make them.
Bill’s Hoe Cake Recipe
You will need:
crushed hard bread
bacon/pork grease or egg, if available, to keep the dough together
field hoe/shovel (washed and cleaned of course) or any cooking pan
a small fire
1. Mix the hard bread with the grease.
2. Add cornmeal.
3. Combine the ingredients until you get a thick paste.
4. Add a little water.
5. Continue mixing.
6. Add some sugar to improve the taste.
7. Mix well.
8. Take a handful and compress the dough.
9. Put more water and cornmeal until the right consistency is achieved.
10. Once more, use your hand to shape the cake.
11. Take the hoe and place the cakes on it.
12. Let the cakes cook over the coals.
If using a shovel to cook is too much for you, then a good pan will do.
13. Turn the cake over when one side is done.
14. Remove the cakes from the shovel.
15. Time to eat. You can add more sugar to make the cakes more delicious.
Read more: survivallife.com